Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Cherry Tomatoes

Oh Dear, I do feel for Calidore, who doesn't have ripe tomatoes yet. While I probably couldn't feed a family your size, but we are several salads ahead now, and one of the "mainstream" (ie in the garden, not the cheating ones along the corrugated iron shed) has been fruiting for a while.

To such an extent that we are going to have a lot, soon, and I need ideas. We don't use them a lot for freezing (too much skin to flesh ratio).

I would have thought, in the warmer climate, you would be going fine by now. Except I have just been looking at my blog, and I started on 15th January last year, and even then I was talking about "only a few tomatoes fruiting" then. It seems to be about a week earlier this year.

So - can anyone come up with some good ways to use Cherry Tomatoes??? Apart from Greek Salad (toms, fetta, iceberg lettuce and olives, with dressing), and halving them about an hour before and tossing in very finely cut fresh basil???

I do have one salad, which is cherry toms, blue vein cheese, cos lettuce and fresh croutons, with a home-made dressing, that is to die for.

But anyone else got any good ways to use up excess Cherry Tomatoes????

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

My mom used to make a good pasta salad with cherry tomatoes. I know it had ziti pasta and a zesty dressing, but I don't have the recipie.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Chloe - what a dilemma (nice one to have though). A couple of possibilities, you could add them to your meat kebabs to throw on the barbie, or maybe if you don't mind having soemthing ticking along on your stove for a couple of hours you could try making cherry tomato paste out of them. They have a more distinct flavour than normal toms and can be kept for eons this way. Just add a little water (not very much at all), a little sugar (to kill the bitterness), some cloves, bay, cinnamon stick and some sauteed onions. Once it's all cooked down, blitz in the food processor, cool and store in jars turned upside down in the fridge.

Voila! Cherry tomato paste on tap.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Nickie said...

Sling shots...

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home