Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Smoke Bush / UFO bed

This is the Smoke Bush bed before I started weeding.

Smoke Bush Bed 1

It isn't a good picture, as it was early in the morning, and I wasn't waiting for better light. I was weeding. The grass is just as long in the shadows in the back, and that is where I did most of the work.

This is how it looked after the first day of weeding:

Smoke Bush Bed 2

Now I am ready for all the bulbs to come up through the mulch, and the leaves from the Smoke Bush can just fall and stay there. The bit that is left to weed is going to be murder. It is a combination of grass and suckers from a creeping rose that is all through that section of the bed.

Smoke Bush Bed 3

And this is the Crocus (at the rear) and Autumn Stonecrop in the point of the bed. This is a darker version of the common pink Stonecrop, and flowered at the same time as the crocus - they go well together.

One more day on this bed (and find some mulch for it), and I can move on to another one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a "smoke tree" back home in New Zealand on the farm. It had pink smoke-like flower/foilage. The only other one I've ever seen is the one my Auntie has. She sent me a photo of it once. I will have to look for it.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

A job well done. Don't you feel tired, prickled to death, and so fulfilled? Looking at the photo of your Smoke Bush garden made me realise that I don't have any island garden beds. They all back onto a fence, wall or footpath. I'm already considering where can I make one.

Your stonecrop (sedum) looks a gorgeous colour.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home